16.2.11

photographer feature: kevin hsia











Name
Kevin Hsia

Age
21

Location
Illinois, USA

Who or what sparked your interest in photography?
Dad's old Nikon F301

Do you still use your dad’s old Nikon F301?
Not so much anymore, but I learned about most of the mechanics on that camera.

Who are some of your favorite photographers?
Isopor and Coquinete

Do you have any formal education in photography or are you self taught?
No formal education really, but I've been writing several research papers based on the principles and theories of photography gleaned from scholarly journals.

Are any of your research papers on the principles and theories of photography published online?
No, I don't have these published online... One of them is "The Consciousness of Art in Nature: Photography’s Role in Ecological Criticism & Image Interiority".

Is photography your career?
No

Are you currently working on any photography projects?
Yes, curating a zine for a student organization called VAMP (Vintage Analogue Manual Photographers)and putting together exhibits and galleries around campus for local student artists.

Is there any electronic version of your VAMP zine available?
No, I am still working on the zine. It will be published in April/May.

What is your favorite thing to photograph and why?
SJA. Coquettishly pure, disarmingly beautiful, she is the most photogenic person I know.

Where do you find and how do you instruct your models?
Every day people. I don't instruct them to do much really. I don't like to disrupt the natural flow of things. I may ask them to pause at times and that's about it. I want to be in the middle of the action and not have to reconstruct something. The honesty of the image and memory must be preserved.

Do you listen to music while you shoot? If so, what is on your photo shoot play list?
Not usually. But if I started, it'd be downtempo, nu jazz/disco.

What is in your camera bag?
Camera and film :)

What is your favorite lens and why?
50mm prime. M42 mount. Simple.

Where do you find inspiration?
Mostly flickr, things I read, music.

Future photography goals?
Work with interdisciplinary efforts that blends advertising, marketing, and graphic design.

Describe a day in your life that includes photography:
Most every day I have a camera with me. I also direct any collaborations with local venues to host local student photographer's work.

What does your work flow consist of?
Usually a roll a week. Real slow and steady - it's a meditative process.

Three interesting facts about yourself?
1. I love disco.
2. I like bad action movies (*haha SJA)
3. I like Knights.

What, if anything, do you do to promote your photography?
The two platforms I mostly use are flickr and Cargo. I submit work to flickr groups as much as possible. I am grateful to the blogs and tumblrs that have posted some of my work. The Cargo Collective site is a means of legitimizing my work I suppose - to say that I'm at least a part of a qualified "standard" of art, and I'm free for collaborations and commissions.

See more of Kevin Hsia's work on Flickr!

No comments:

Post a Comment