22.2.11

photographer feature: dennis miles








Age
18

Location
Houston, Texas

Who or what sparked your interest in photography?
Honestly, it started with a girl. I tried impressing her with it and once I started it became more of an attraction to photography than the girl. My true love is photography now.

Who are some of your favorite photographers?
Tamara Lichtenstein, Baohien Ngo, Jackie Luo, Ann He, all local photographers in Houston and the reason I keep taking photos.

Do you have any formal education in photography or are you self taught?
I took one photography class in community college for a semester and a photo journalism class in high school. Other than that, nothing widely formal.

Is photography your career?
I soon hope it will in the near future.

Are you currently working on any photography projects?
Not at the moment. I go on photo shoots as a hobby and it brings me to a happier mood.

What is your favorite thing to photograph and why?
Natural occurrences. By that I mean things that most would never see or would see but only for a small moment. I'm also in love with beauty, youth, femininity, and free-spirit.

Where do you find and how do you instruct your models?
Mutual friends, friends of mine, and social networking sites. Most I use are already experience but in order for them to feel comfortable with me I get to know my model before anything. I get to know everyone I shoot.

Do you listen to music while you shoot? If so, what is on your photo shoot play list?
I do not. On the way in the car I suppose but it usually consists of Freelance Whales, Sleigh Bells, and The xx.

What is in your camera bag?
Nikon N80, Instax, Baby Holga, Canon Ftb, three or four smoke bombs and a lighter.

What is your favorite lens and why?
My 50mm. It's been there always and gets the job done with every photo shoot I do.

Where do you find inspiration?
Other photographers. Experience with other people. I want to interpret what others are feeling and at the same time show a little of what I'm thinking.

Future photography goals?
Art school in Belgium where I'll master in photography. Hopefully work for a fashion magazine or be an Art Director.

Describe a day in your life that includes photography:
I bring a camera with me everywhere I go. May it be hanging out at a friends house outside or walking through Houston, I'm prepared to shoot anything.

What does your work flow consist of?
Free-spirit, beauty, natural occurrences, and youth.

Three interesting facts about yourself?
Born in Mons, Belgium. Half Dutch-Indonesian, Half African-American. I collect antique cameras.

What, if anything, do you do to promote your photography?
I try flickr groups and blogs. Its been tough being noticed but I keep my chin up and hope that something will change the outlook of my photography related future.

Check out Dennis Miles on Flickr and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment